Pages

The Hawthorne Happenings

Monday, March 18, 2013

Little Things, BIG Impact

Two weekends ago, I was in my hometown attending a birthday party for one of my high school friend's little girl who was turning one. While I was there, a dear older man who I have known for many years came up to me. He took my hand and said he had a few questions for me. I smiled knowing what was coming. He then proceeded to ask, "Has anyone told you you're pretty today?" (waits for your response) "I think your pretty" "Has anyone told you you are precious today?" (waits for your response) "I think you're precious." "Do you know what agape means?" (waits for your response) "Has anyone told you they loved you today?" (waits for your response) "I love you."

I stood there with tears almost in my eyes soaking in each question and response. I know that he does this to almost everyone he meets but he still makes you feel like you are the most beautiful, precious person he knows. And I truly believe that he means everything he says. It was so powerful to me--I don't know how many times I have heard him say it---but the impact was still huge.

Then, the next morning in church the sermon series was "Toxic". This sermon in particular was on toxic words and how powerful our words are. Here is a quick summary of the sermon--

There are two types of words: 1) The Words We Hear
                                                       2) The Words We Say

The key-thought under the Words We Say was "Speak life-giving words to others". He followed up with this verse from Ephesians 4:29-"Do not let any wholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." (I could go on about how powerful I think our words are but I will save it for another blog and stay on my original thought :) )

The preacher went on to say that his rule of thumb is always "If you think of something good, say it." It doesn't matter what it is or who it is too---say it. Whether it be the clerk at the checkout stand, some stranger on the street, your spouse, sibling, etc--everyone needs to hear kind things.

My thoughts couldn't help but immediately go to the man the day before. He will probably never know the impact his words had on me, or many other ladies. But it doesn't matter. He spoke those life-giving words to me. He thought something good, and he said it. He for those few minutes made me feel like the most special person in the room. Then I couldn't help but wonder---"How often do I make someone feel like that?" or "How many opportunities have I missed making someone feel like that?"

I just wanted to share these thoughts and challenge you and myself to speak those life-giving words to those we come in contact with. We never know what little things we do that make a BIG impact.

Wow--who knew I had more to talk about then my precious daughter :)

1 comment: