Pages

The Hawthorne Happenings

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, pt 1


I think when you become a parent that you really start looking at things a little differently. I have always known how materialistic that we have made Christmas, but when ever you are the one in charge of how someone is raised and you have the chance to highly influence their view on it, it really changes things. This time of year gets crazy busy. And every year I say that I am going to focus more on the real meaning of Christmas and not get caught up in all the stress…..and every year I usually don't make it without getting caught up to some degree in the gifts and the decorating. However, with a little girl who is starting to understand more and more, I knew we had to decide now how we wanted to celebrate Christmas each year before she got any older. 

One of the things I knew I wanted to incorporate into this season was an Elf. However, I knew that I didn't want to do the Elf on the Shelf the way most people do it. #1, Hensley wouldn't understand it. But more importantly, #2, Jesus didn't come to earth and give His present to those who were "good"….He was born and died for all our sins. I don't want Hensley thinking she has to be good to get presents, I want to focus on her heart and being like Jesus. I want her (and Kennedy) to understand that nothing we do will earn us the most precious gift of all. 

So yes, we have Santa's sitting out and there will be an unopened gift under the tree, but other than that, I have hardly mentioned Santa. We are getting ready to celebrate Jesus' birthday! 

Our elf, Ellie, brings us good things to do each day. I'm not sure who is loving this more, Hensley or me. It has kept me a lot more focused on the reason for the season and I am so thankful. Here are a few of our adventures. 


Day 1-Ellie came and told us that there were little kids who didn't have toys and asked us to donate some of ours. We gathered up a box and since then Hensley has been obsessed with "kids" and wants to do things for them. Melt a mommas heart. 
(On a side note, if any one knows a great place to donate toys, I'd love to know. They are still in a box in the kitchen!)


Day 2-Ellie brought us a new toothbrush so that we could make our smile extra bright as we smile at others!
(Ignore the outfit. Josh dressed her.)

Day 3-My sweet Aunt Rochelle, wrote a book on the secrets of the snowmen and how they can remind us of God. 
http://secretsofthesnowman.tateauthor.com

Day 4-She brought us a nativity to set up and remember what Christmas is all about. Next year this will be Day 1, I just hadn't unpacked Christmas decorations when I started. 

Day 5-We made a bunch of Christmas cds to give to people. 


Day 6-We taped some quarters to a water vending machine outside our store. 

Day 7- Ellie rested on Sunday ;) 

Loving these little adventures that help us stay focused on HIM and what Christmas is all about! 

1 comment:

  1. This is so fun! And the comment about Josh dressing her made me giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete